Help to Buy: Shared Ownership

Help to Buy: Shared Ownership

Our surveyors are members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and can provide Help to Buy: Shared Ownership Valuations and advice. These should not be confused with Help to Buy: Equity Loan Valuations.

What is Help to Buy: Shared Ownership?

The Help to Buy: Shared Ownership scheme allows purchasers to own a share (i.e. portion of the property) of the new home and rent is paid on the remaining share that is not owned by the purchaser.

The share is usually between 25% and 75% with some homes having the ability of purchasing a 10% share. The share can be paid with a mortgage or savings, and the deposit required is typically 5% or 10% of the share being purchased.

In the future more shares can be purchased which is known as ‘staircasing’. The amount of rent paid is based on the portion that is not owned by you (i.e. landlord’s share) and when the shares are increased, as they are purchased, the lesser rent will be paid.


When is a valuation needed?

If you have purchased a home using the Shared Ownership scheme and decide to sell the property or are looking to buy more shares then a valuation report is needed.

The valuation report has to be prepared in accordance with the Housing Association requirements. Usually, the report will need to be completed by an independent valuer who has the qualification of an RICS chartered surveyor.


How Blackacre can assist

At Blackacre Chartered Surveyors & Valuers have the necessary qualifications, experience and expertise to provide an independent valuation that complies with your Housing Association’s requirements.

Key Contact


Chartered Surveyor
RICS Registered Valuer

07939 939301